A Dash of Style….

We’re at the stage where things are starting to go together again… Starting with the centre dash. The refurbed gauges have been fitted to the new stainless steel dot peened finish plate. The original was aluminium but this marks too easily hence the move to stainless, a far more durable solution.

The face plate of the oil pressure gauge has move a little, probably when the new bezel was fitted, so this will need aligning again. They are so fiddly to get right…

e type centre dash

what a think of beauty, especially when compared to what came off….

P1040800

Theres a new legend plate to finish the job off.

The drivers dash is a brand new original part and the newly converted glove box was also re-trimmed in new leather cloth to give the whole dash the new look treatment.

E type glove box

The heater control levers seem to be an NLA item and have been on back order for a while. Jerry cured this by making a pair of levers to fit the bracket. We’ll be using one of them to control a solenoid water valve so needs to operate a microswitch. The other is just for show.

E Type heater lever

and with the lever ends in place

E type heater escucheon

Perfect!

The chassis was given a rub down and a new coat of paint. The paint colour was “scanned” and formulated by computer. Its not an exact match, but as its under bonnet I’m not overly concerned. Its netter to have a uniform colour than the blotchy mess that the car came with.

Challenger e type chassis

Elsewhere the upper column UJ finally turned up and was fitted to the freshly painted lower column.

Challenger E type chassis paint

The reservoirs and btacket have now been fitted tot he newly made bulkhead panel and its starting to look more complete.

challenger bulkhead trim

bulkhead challenger

The steering rack was also treated to a coat of paint. This is another part is isn’t seen, but that doesn’t mean it should be neglected. I’ll know its been painted and, in many ways, thats the reason. The car has been in rebuild phase for 3 years now, its good to make sure everything is just so.

challenger steering rack

Its all coming together nicely!

leaper

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

At braking point….

given the debarcle with the crankshaft, I used the rest of the day to fit the   OBP pedal box. Its a nice piece of kit but as the master cylinders are the other side of the bulkhead 38mm holes have to be drilled and there not much clearance between the master cylinder body hole and the mounting points..

IMG_7851

You can see the problem in the above picture. My drilling is about as accurate as a Jeremy Corbyn manifesto, so I needed and ingenious solution.

Its easy to line the pedal box up and drill the mountings, using and 8.5mm bit to mark the centre and then pilot drill before going full size. I did thin and bolted the box in place.

Next I’ll need a hole saw, as opposed to a sore hole (I miss  Janet and John )

Next came a rare flash of inspiration which might be of use to others, so here goes. The hole diameter required is 38mm, so with a 38 mm hole saw I drilled a pick of 25mm timber.

IMG_7852

I carefully prised the slug out of the hole saw. The slug is smaller than 38mm so I wrapped gaffer tape around it until it was back to the correct size

IMG_7853

I then used it as a guide to mark the centre of the master cylinder hole.

IMG_7854

Pilot grill through the centre, and hey presto…

IMG_7855

Next the fairly simple job of adding the master cylinders, set to 50/50 for the brakes front to rear.

The brakes will be treated to all new lines, but that’s a job for another day.