Actually, she wasn’t. The euphoria of success that washed over me post propshaft replacement was short lived. I’d taken Lady Marilyn for a drive which approximated to turning petrol to smiles in large quantities (of each). Incidentally, I’ve heard that I’m getting my own pump at the local Petrol Station as a mark of respect to my constant patronage. If i use any more petrol I’ll have to join Opec.
I digress… Post fill up Lady Marilyn had a bit of a cough and then nothing. The starter button yielded a click, a “rerrrrr” and then nothing. Eventially I got enough of a turn to fire her up and back to the garage she went.
If I’m being honest, she’d been a lazy starter for a while but as she’s always quick to fire up, that hadn’t been an issue. Now, however, it was.
There are lots of alternative starter motors out there. Powerlite, Wosp, various rebuilds of the Lucas 3M100. So how to decide? Mark McKinlay has posted on the club website that he’d bought a Wosp unit and was very happy with it. I checked the Wosp web page and was happy to note David Manners, my favourite parts supplier, was an agent. Decision made, one phone call later my new starter was on its way to me on a next day delivery.
Right, back to the job, I put the car on ramps this time as theres not enough room to move in the starter area when on stands. Slid under the front and started to remove the old starter. I found it easiest to take the top bolt out first from under the bonnet and then undo the lower bolt from underneath. Its a twat of a job given the accessibility issues and I ended up with a 3/8th drive ratchet and every extension piece I had to get the handle to a place I could turn it…. Still it came out easily enough, though its bloody heavy. If anyone has a boat missing an anchor, let me know I think I can help..
Once out I put the old Lucas unit on the bench, next to the shiny new Wosp unit.
The Wosp unit is a little smaller, but only a fraction of the weight of the Lucas unit, I mean really only a fraction. I couldn’t believe how lightweight the unit was in comparison.
Fitting the Wosp starter is a doddle given it smaller and much lighter (have I made the point that its, like, really light??). I measured the studs that are fitted to the Wosp vrs the length of the bolts from the Lucas unit and it was clear that I wasn’t going to get the full nyloc engaged on the studs if I fitted the mounting plate. The fitting instructions didn’t mention the mounting plate, seen below, item 3
Back under the car to check the mounting and its evident that I need the plate after all.
The two locating dowls sit within the mounting plate and without the plate the motor wouldn’t mount properly.
I confirmed this by measuring the throw of the stater gear on the old and new motors and they measured the same, from the edge closest to the windings. So the motor and plate were fitted and the wiring reconnected.
The cable tie is there because there isn’t a lock on the standard solenoid wire. These was a new flying lead with the motor that did had a positive lock, but I didn’t want another joint in the wire, so the cable tie just stops the solenoid wire falling off. Obviously I trimmed the cable tie and greased the terminal after taking the shot 🙂
To demonstrate the finished installation, he’s a YouTube with the Fuel pump and ignition isolated.
Another little job crossed off and another improvement to the car, makes life so much easier knowing she’ll start on the button every time.